today I have a rather unusual post for this blog. Ever since I started going to a school with a quarter system, I started thinking more about my goals for that quarter and the corresponding season. So today I wanted to share some of my goals and ideas with you. Happy Spring!
- Go camping: It’s finally getting warmer and I am excited for plenty of outdoor activites. I am not the biggest camping pro out there but I do get excited about short weekend camping trips. I actually have two of those planned in the near future.
- Read in the park: I love reading and I set a quite ambitious reading goal for this year (see my reading list), so I am hoping to get some outside reading time in this spring. I also always have to read a bunch for school/ work and that is always a lot more fun if it can be done outside.
- Bike tour and ice cream: My bike is fixed and I have a long list of ice cream places I want to try in Santa Cruz and surrounding towns. Combining bike tours with some rewarding ice cream afterwards is one of my favorite combinations from my childhood.
- Picnic on the beach: I already had one picnic on the beach this year. On the dog beach, to be specific. Picnics are cheap, fun, and can involve an almost unlimited amount of people.
- Learn a new photography skill: I think spring is the perfect time to improve your photography skills. The weather is getting nice for landscape photography. There are plenty of flowers for macros and close-ups and it might even be warm enough to stay up all night and try some star photography.
- Have a BBQ: on my personal spring bucket list it says get a grill first. I’m keeping my eyes peeled on craigslist
- Go on a hike: Again, I believe spring is the best time for outdoor activities.
- Go to the farmers market and enjoy all the fresh produce and maybe get inspired to try something new.
- Discover a new state/ national park: There is nothing better than discovering something new and beautiful close to home.
- Go to a drive-in movie theater: I have never been to one but it sounds like so much fun. I recently gave my friend tickets for his birthday, so I hope we’ll get to go soon.
- Get plants and flowers for your house: Bring spring inside and make your home a happier place.
- Celebrate Earth day: Potentially by participating in the march of science or other events happening that day.
- Take a class that takes you outside: Maybe a photography class or a new sports class.
- Plan your summer vacation and get excited for summer!
- Plant something and get the reward for your work later in summer or fall.
My Personal Goals for Spring 2017:
- My spring quarter is going to consist of a lot of teaching (Genetics) and consequently grading. I will also be taking a class for myself and I expect plenty of homework assignments. So these two things will be my priority in Spring Quarter. I probably won’t have a lot of time to get actual research done. However, I will have to get one grant application done somehow and attend a couple of conferences.
- When I first moved into my room, last December, I put a lot of effort into making it nice and cozy but because of the lack of time, I never actually got to finish decorating my room. So this spring, I am going to try and find some art that I want to hang up in my room, print some more photos, and find some nice plants.
- Our house has a big backyard and a nice porch and a lot of times we have friends over or organize house shows. The only thing that’s missing is a grill for a proper BBQ. So my goal is, to find a cheap grill on craigslist.
- I finally got myself a tripod. Now, I want to make the time to use it for some awesome shots.
What’s on your spring bucket list?